2/18/22

Princess

Late last night I woke to loud arguing and screaming.
I've been sleeping on the couch with Belle since our bedroom is so cold. Being closer to the street I listened intently wondering if someone was being beaten.
As I listened I realized the sounds were coming from Belle's belly.
Her head was also creating sounds: sighs, moans, yipping, opinions, yawns, recollections, and plans.
Her feet paddled against my feet.
The bed was vibrating.
Pillows levitated.
This morning she woke rife with resentment.
She hadn't been outside in 12 hours yet resisted my pulling at her feet to get her out of bed.
She kicked at me, eventually slid off the couch, glared over her shoulder at me, and headed to the door.
Back inside I cleaned the little snowballs that had collected in her webbed feet.
She declined to acknowledge this effort, waived breakfast, and headed back to the couch where she dramatically sighed before jumping onto the cushions.
Princess, I whispered behind her back.

No comments: