9/18/24

A Drink w/ Retha. 2018

Over a drink last night with Retha:
R: The reunion WOULD have been perfect except my husband started dancing with a white woman.
Me: No!
R: Yes, he was drunk and wouldn't stop dancing with her. Little Lamont tried to move her away but he kept dancing!
Me: What did you do?
R: I grabbed a bottle off the table, I was going to break it and go after him!
Me: Really!?
R: Can you believe that shit?
Me: ....You know I'm white right?
R: ......Oh shut up. Damn. I know that. ....
R: Not like you would dance with my husband.
Me: I'm no longer able to dance.
R: Still, you would not dance with my husband!
Me: Not even if he were single!
When I moved here in the early 90s my block was 95% black and *all* of the apartment buildings were Section 8. Retha and her husband owned the corner building.
Retha had a stroke five years ago. They sold the house two years ago.
My block is now cripsy white.
My 21 year old biracial friend recently told me while standing on my porch, You know your neighborhood is gentrified when white women are walking at night without a dog.

No comments: