5/7/09

The Big Cut

Recently Bruk and I were chatting on the subject of cutting back. She asked, What more can we cut, we've already cut so much.

This means we have basic phone service with Internet, no cell phones, or cable TV.

My monthly power bill, when I'm not running the central air is 22.00 monthly. Two years ago I replaced all light bulbs with CFL's. My power bill dropped from 70.00 per month.

When I use the washing machine it's cold water only (it's the detergent that cleans the cloths, not the water temperature, Hot water contributes to fading) and the cycle is shorter.

I unplug everything that uses vampire power (that's anything with a clock in it like the microwave or anything that uses a remote) when not in use.

My budgeted gas bill for my 1,400 sq. feet is 60.00 monthly. It gets chilly in here during the winter, especially in bed when I'm doing late night reading and have turned the heat down to 58.

I went off a prescription antidepressant that was offered to me the last time I was told I had cancer. I told my doctor I wanted off and he panicked: You just can't stop taking it, you have to cut down gradually. I went from 150 mil to 75 for three months then a month on 35 and have been off the stuff for five months. Savings: 30.00 monthly.

I do an annual yard share from my back yard. It's open to 9 people every year, they pay 25.00. I do all the labor and while it's really time consuming I love being outside. I'm currently growing a variety of peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. In the fall I will dig up and sell some of dozens of hosta to expand the vegetable garden next spring. I've been composting for over a decade and have pure black soil and not a speck of clay.

Any additional tips are always appreciated.

No comments: